If you are using Server Backup to protect data on a large server, merging Recovery Points can become a lengthy process and can sometimes take longer than the actual replication. You can schedule Recovery Points merging separately from the policy schedule. You can select an option to merge Recovery Points after every replication or merge them with specified frequency.
The Recovery Point Retention rule defines how many Recovery Points to keep in the Disk Safe. When the number of Recovery Points exceed the defined limit, the old Recovery Points will be merged.
Merge is a separate task in Manage task history.
Follow the instructions below to schedule the Recovery Points merge.
1. Click "Policy" in the Main Menu to open the "Policies" window.
2. Select the policy from the list and click "Edit."
3. In the "Policy Settings" tab, click on the "Edit Schedule."
4. Select the trigger type from the drop-down menu. It will determine the recurrence of the merging:
- After successful replication
5. Depending on the trigger type, you will need to define the time/date of the merging. For example, for the "Daily" Trigger Type, define Starting Minute and Hours of Day.
6. Click "OK."
A Merge Recovery Points task is always shown separately from the policy in Manage task history, even if the "Merge After Every Replication" trigger is selected. This way you can have a better perception of tasks since merging can run for long periods of time.