For Server Backup 5.2.x and later, you must upgrade the components in the following order or your backups may fail:
You may be informed by email when a new version of Server Backup software is released. New versions are improved by bug fixes and new/reworked functionality. All enhancements made to the product are documented in the release notes. Release Notes usually contain a brief summary of recent changes, enhancements, and bug fixes in a particular software release.
Windows installers support English, Japanese, and Spanish. End users cannot add install support for additional languages. Language chosen during the install does NOT become the Backup Manager default user language.
You can view the Release Notes here: [ServerBackup:Server Backup Manager Release Notes]
First, obtain the latest version of the Server Backup Manager installer. Then access the computer on which the current version is installed. You must already have a computer running Windows 5.x Server Backup Manager or an earlier version.
While upgrading, the following information may be useful:
- To upgrade the Backup Manager, you do not need to uninstall the previous version.
- It is recommended that you close all other applications before starting Setup. This will make it possible to update relevant system files without having to reboot your computer.
- The upgrade will change the java heap size to 50% of physical memory if the server.conf file has been customized with a higher value. Reserving more than 50% of a system's memory for the Java Heap can result in situations where not enough memory is available to the Backup Manager for non-heap memory or for other applications running on the system. For more information, see Configure Server Backup Manager on Windows.
To upgrade the Windows Server Backup Manager, perform the following steps:
Make sure you have a backup of the current Server Backup installation. Having this installation, you can downgrade to it if something goes wrong with the upgrade.
1. Log on to the Windows server as a member of the local Administrators group.
2. Navigate to the directory where you saved Backup Manager installation file. The installer will have the following attributes:
For a 32-bit system:
- File name - ServerBackup-Enterprise-win32.zip
For a 64-bit system:
- File name - ServerBackup-Enterprise-win64.zip
Extract this archive to any folder.
The Server Backup Manager installer package is capable of installing/upgrading both the Manager and Agent software. The "Enterprise Agent" installer package contains only the Agent software and is a much smaller package.
3. Double-click the file from the folder in which the archive has been unpacked.
4. In the Welcome window, select a destination folder and click "Install".
5. Wait while the files are extracted.
6. Click "Install Backup Manager" in the opened window.
7. The Server Backup Manager Installer will open. Click "Next".
8. You must agree to the following license agreement. Read it to the end, select the "I accept ..." check-box and click "Next" to proceed.
9. The installer will check your system for possible problems. It is strongly recommended that all tests have a "Pass" status. You can repeat the tests by clicking the "Test" button. Click "Next" to go to the next screen.
You can find the full list of requirements at Server Backup Manager System Requirements.
If one or several requirements are not met, then an explanation will be displayed in the "Message" column. If this happens, further installation is not recommended for this configuration.
There are three possible values for the "Status" column: "Pass," "Not Recommended," and "Fail."
If possible, correct the configuration and click "Test" again.
10. On the next screen, verify that there is free space on the drive where the Backup Manager is installed. Click "Next" to continue.
During an upgrade, you cannot change the installation directory for the Backup Manager.
11. The configuration is complete. Click "Next" to start the upgrade process.
12. The upgrade process will start.
13. The upgrade is complete. Click "Finish."
After a Backup Manager is upgraded from 5.x to the 5.2 version, you will be prompted to set up the configuration upon the first super-user log-on. The system allows you to select a configuration that is compatible with the objects you have created. See also: Configure Product Features.
A Full Block Scan will be initiated after a Backup Agent upgrade due to a restart of the Agent service/daemon. This ensures that replicas are consistent, even after a server crash or reboot.
Proceed to the next steps: