If you are using CDP to protect data on a large server, merging Recovery Points can become a lengthy process and can sometimes take longer than the actual replication. For this reason, a new option has been added to CDP version 3.14 that allows you to schedule Recovery Points merging separately from the policy schedule. You can select an option to merge Recovery Points after every replication or merge them with specified frequency.
The Recovery Point Retention rule defines how many Recovery Points to keep in the Disk Safe. When the number of Recovery Points exceed the defined limit, the old Recovery Points will be merged.
Merge is a separate task in Task History.
Follow the instructions below to schedule the Recovery Points merge.
1. Click on "Policy" in the Main Menu to open the "Policies" window.
|Standard Edition||Enterprise Edition||Advanced Edition|
2. Select the policy from the list and click "Edit."
3. In the "Policy Settings" tab, click on the "Edit Schedule."
4. Select the trigger type from the drop-down menu. It will determine the recurrence of the merging:
5. Depending on the trigger type, you will need to define the time/date of the merging. For example, for the "Daily" Trigger Type, define Starting Minute and Hours of Day.
6. Click "OK."
A Merge Recovery Points task is always shown separately from the policy in Task History, even if the "Merge After Every Replication" trigger is selected. This way you can have a better perception of tasks since merging can run for long periods of time.