This section of documentation provides you with complete instructions on how to use the Bare-Metal Restore functionality in Server Backup Manager.
Bare metal restore is the process of reformatting a computer/server from scratch after a catastrophic failure. In conventional methods, the process typically involves reinstalling the operating system and software applications and then, if possible, restoring data and settings.
With R1Soft backup technology, you can restore servers directly from disk-based backup. There is no need to first partition your drive and re-install the operating system.
With Server Backup Manager, you can use Bare-Metal Restore with the help of the following tools:
- Live CD Agent
- Live CD Server
- PXE Network Boot Agent
- PXE Network Boot Server
- Options for performing a bare-metal restore — Description of options for performing a bare-metal restore in Server Backup Manager.
- Test a Linux bare-metal restore before an emergency occurs — Information about why you need to test a bare-metal restore on each hardware platform before an emergency occurs.
- Launch a bare-metal restore — Instructions on how to run a bare-metal restore of selected recovery points in Server Backup Manager.
- Use a boot CD-ROM — Information about using the Live CD bare-metal restore software.
- Start the Backup Agent in recovery mode — Instructions on how to put a Backup Agent into recovery mode.
- Use PXE network boot — Information about using the PXE network boot bare-metal restore software.
- Configure the network for bare-metal restore — Instructions on how to configure the network settings for Live CD and PXE Network Boot methods.
- Configure the Bare-Metal Restore Manager — Instructions on how to configure Bare-Metal Restore Manager.
- Restore Windows dynamic disks — Instructions on how to run a Windows Bare-Metal Restore of Dynamic Disks.
- Restore Windows logical disks — Instructions on how to run a Bare-Metal Restore of Windows Logical Disks.
- Bare-Metal Restore with LVM and RAID — General information about Bare-Metal Restore with LVM and RAID.
- Use bare-metal restore device auto-mapping — Instructions on how to use device auto-mapping during the Bare-Metal Restore.