Introduced in Server Backup Manager 5.10.0, Site-to-Site Replication allows administrators to replicate backup data contained in Volumes and Disk Safes to other SBM servers. Once enabled and configured, all backup data is automatically replicated to the remote SBM servers. The replication data travels across the network using SSL encryption regardless of Disk Safe encryption settings. This technology allows administrators to transparently store data across SBM servers, even in different geographic locations. Administrators can also use the replicated data to directly restore protected servers.
All Site-to-Site Replication settings are available within the SBM web interface. They are located in the Configuration panel under Remote Replication Options. The configuration interface is grouped into three areas: Remote Replication Listener Options, Outbound Remote Replication Options, and Target Servers.
- Remote Replication Listener Options are settings related to allowing the SBM server receive replication data.
- Outbound Remote Replication Options control authentication and network settings for sending replication data.
- Target Servers is used to specify the receiving servers of replication data sent from the SBM server.
Each configuration setting within the three configuration areas includes additional help information to guide the administrator in setting correct values.
A server which will receive replication data must be configured to listen for replication requests. This is configured in the Remote Replication Options. The option must be "Enabled", and any additional settings should be configured if the default values are not appropriate for the environment.
You must specify the location of replicated data. This can be specified using the "Default Replication Path" field. All replicated data will be stored at this location.
The SBM server which will be sending replication data can be configured to specify authentication and network settings appropriate for the environment. These settings can be found in the Outbound Remote Replication Options.
The sending SBM server must be associated with target SBM servers in the Target Servers configuration area. When adding a target server, the administrator must provide the following information:
- Name - a user defined alias for display purposes
- Host Name/IP - a resolvable network name or IP address for the target server
- Port Number - the specific listening port for replication requests
- Username - the administrative account username on the target SBM server
- Password - the administrative account password on the target SBM server
- API Port - the SOAP API port on the target SBM server
- Use SSL - setting allowing the administrator to control specify whether the SOAP API uses SSL network encryption (found in Configuration > API Server Options of the target SBM server)
Backup data is replicated at the Volume or Disk Safe level. In order to replicate a Volume or Disk Safe, replication must be enabled within the Volume or Disk Safe. These settings can be found in the "Replication" tab of the "Edit Volume" or "Edit Disk Safe" user interfaces. Once you have selected a "Replication Type" of "Remote Replication", options will be displayed to specify the "Target Server" configured earlier in the Outbound Remote Replication Options.
Site-to-Site Replication occurs automatically once configured. All backup tasks resulting in changes to the Volumes or Disk Safes are propagated to the remote SBM server. Replicated data is stored on the target SBM server within the the directory specified in its Remote Replication Options under "Default Replication Path".