|Linux Manager/Agent Build Version:||5.8.0 build 21|
|Windows Manager/Agent Build Version:||5.8.0 build 21|
|Recommended Module Version:||4.6.0 build 24|
A 64-bit operating system is required for the Backup Manager. See the Systems Requirements section for details.
|MySQL users planning an upgrade|
|Important Upgrade Considerations|
Server Backup Manager 5.8.x only supports upgrades from versions 5.2.0 and later. If you are on a previous version of SBM, upgrade to version 5.2.0 before attempting to upgrade to version 5.8.x.
For Server Backup 5.2.0 and later, you must upgrade the components in the following order or your backups may fail:
When users who have environments with Debian (deb) packages upgrade the Data Center Console, the system displays a message similar to the following:
All DCC data is overwritten and lost if you respond by pressing "Y" or "I." The default action keeps your current version. This issue does not affect environments with RPM packages.
When upgrading Server Backup, R1Soft recommends that you select a window of time when no jobs are running. Set Server Backup Manager in maintenance mode and allow running tasks to complete before upgrading.
If your Windows environment contains an MSSQL or Exchange database on two different partitions, you should enable multi-volume snapshot (MVS) in the policy settings.
|Initial merge speed|
Initial merges after an upgrade may be slow. The issue is due to calculations and identification of what items need merging. Once the calculations complete, the actual merge process is relatively quick. We are aware of this issue and we are working toward a resolution.
|Upgrading Backup Agent on Linux|
Server Backup Manager may require additional manual steps when upgrading the Backup Agent on Linux. For more information about this process, see:
Server Backup Manager 5.8.0 now offers support for:
- Amazon Glacier off-site storage of disk safe replicas
- UEFI/GPT-based hard drive partitions
- XFS bare metal recovery
Server Backup Manager 5.8.0 now maintains a backup of the configuration database.
Server Backup Manager 5.8.0 logs now include the user name and IP address for all successful and failed login attempts.
Server Backup Manager 5.8.0 includes the following API enhancements:
- Experimental Feature The bare-metal restore API now includes the method doBareMetalRestore to perform automated full system restores.
- The getServerLicenseInformation() call now also returns the SBM version.
- For the Get Policy by disk safe feature, this release of SBM includes the following new methods:
- getPolicyByDiskSafe returns the policy associated with the specified disk safe.
- getPolicyByDiskSafeId returns the policy associated with the specified disk safe ID.
- For the Get User by user name feature, this release of SBM includes the following new methods:
- getUserByUsername returns the user associated with the specified username.
- getUserByUsernameAndOwner returns the user associated with the specified username and owner type.
- Users who upgraded to Server Backup Manager 5.6.x no longer experience issues with excludes causing performance issues with SBM.
- SBM no longer displays a warning regarding non-existent exclusion files.
- The new Agent Options window allows you to set servers as physical or virtual. Previously, SBM identified Hyper-V hypervisors incorrectly as virtual systems, which could cause licensing issues.
- An issue causing server replication to complete with alerts concerning Microsoft Exchange verification no longer occurs.
- Users no longer experience accidental duplicate task schedules.
- Users now receive reports containing results for only those servers owned by that user.
- MySQL users now receive a tooltip reminder during backups that the database needs to reside on the same server as the Backup Agent. This tooltip appears next to the Alternate Hostname/IP checkbox.
- server.conf now includes new parameters for CodeCache configuration and includes better default values. This improves resolves an issue causing CodeCache full-related errors and performance issues.
- All control panels users can use the new global option available on Configuration > Product Features under the control panel options that allows you to enable or disable database restores for control panel users. This option affects all control panels, not only cPanel.
- Data Center Console includes numerous performance enhancements.
- Data Center Console users no longer experience an issue causing a null pointer error when attempting to change a user account password.
- A Data Center Console reporting issue causing tasks from one of several Backup Managers shown incorrectly as "Failed" is resolved.
- Data Center Console now reports disk space usage statistics consistent with SBM values.
- The attachDisksafe call now includes API_Import properties.
- The API no longer incorrectly displays the error message, "User has reached their max server count."
- Users are no longer required to update the useLDAPAuthentication value to False as this value is now set as default.
- You can now use the createReport API to create a report with taskFilter elements.
- The merge task may fail when you attempt to merge a recovery point that was interrupted due to CLOB/BLOB issues. If the merge fails due to this issue, merge the points one by one. After the merge fails, merge each recovery point one by one until the task is successful.
- Users who have Debian installations should note that a Debian-based machine that has both RPM and DEB packages installed is recognized as RPM-based only by Server Backup Manager.
- Users cannot set heap memory more than 1024 MB using serverbackup-setup -m. Even if there is more than enough space, Server Backup Manager displays a message indicating that memory specified must be smaller than 1024 MB.
- Reports are incorrect if the Data Protection Policy task for a server is deleted from Task History.
- When setting up multi-point replication, the shortcut for Backup Agent Configuration Utility runs C:\Program Files\Idera Server Backup\bin\CDPConfig.exe, which starts the Backup Manager Configuration Utility instead of the Agent utility.
- Some users are unable to create backup reports and receive the message, "Unknown exception:java.lang.NullPointerException." A workaround is to add a FROM: address to the Set Report Options.
- If you attempt to import a server that already exists in Server Backup Manager, it does not import the data but does display an incorrect message that reads, “A server to import was not found in the disk safe.” In addition, the error is logged in the server.log file as something similar to the following message:
2014-03-21 06:54:53,351 INFO - Could not locate Agent (6c4bc523-85de-4e3d-a2e0-5868ce73cfbb) while importing DiskSafe (imported)
2014-03-21 06:54:53,352 ERROR - Failed to import agent from disk safe 'imported'
com.r1soft.backup.server.facade.AgentException: Hostname and port are in use
- When Server Backup Manager is in maintenance mode, the policies can still be driven by DCC.
- Server Backup displays an incorrect error message when there is not enough space available in /tmp. The current message, “Path not found /tmp,” is not correct. The message should read, “Not enough usable space in <tempdir> on host <hostname>.”
- Some users may experience an unknown exception error when adding a server and attempting to display disk information. This issue results when Server Backup runs as a local system account which does not have rights to read the disk. You can resolve this issue by changing the process to run as an administrator.
- Users who have more than 1,500 mount points per device may experience performance issues during a file restore or when attempting to browse recovery and archive points.
- You cannot delete a volume located at the root of a mount point. It is not recommended to create volumes in this location. If you want to delete a volume that resides at the root of a mount point:
- Unmount the drive.
- Create a directory that includes folders on the mounted device. This is the location where you can store your volumes.
- When using the API you must designate the type of user on the "user=" line, as either--user=dcc/someuser
Otherwise, the user defaults to local users.
- Server Backup 5.2.x and later do not support remote deployment to a Windows 2003 server because installing drivers requires user interaction.
- Users who attempt to install Server Backup Manager on a Microsoft Windows 2003 operating system must note that .NET 2.x or 3.5 is required. .NET 4.0 does not satisfy this requirement. When installing SBM on Windows 2003, the installer fails if the proper .NET version is not installed. Note that the installer does not prompt you to install the correct .NET version before failing.
- The temporary (.tmp) folder is not deleted after completing a silent install of Server Backup Manager or Backup Agent using the default values. The folder is empty, but still exists on the server.
- Users who use Centos LiveCD on any bare-metal restores that have LVM may receive error messages that they failed to restore deltas to a certain device number. This issue results from the fact that because the Centos LiveCD uses its own LVM to manage its file systems, dm-0 and dm-1 are always in use. To avoid this issue, choose a target that is two LVM devices higher than the original. For example, if /tmp is originally on /dev/dm-1, you should choose /dev/dm-3 as your target.
- RecoveryCD versions 4.2.0 and 5.0.0 do not work when performing a bare-metal restore to a target that includes mdadm and LVM devices.
- Some users may receive an exception error message when attempting to exclude a large group of files in a directory when performing a restore.
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 users cannot restore a mailbox database to an alternate location.
- Some users may experience Java heap space out-of-memory error messages when attempting to restore a database with large LongBlob or LongText types.
- Disk safe verification verifies only those recovery points with an available status. DSV does not verify recovery points with a locked or incomplete status.
- The Data Center Console does not automatically restart after a new Windows or Linux installation.
- The Data Center Console Bulk Edit functionality is experiencing issues, such as not allowing a user to edit merge schedule policies with two disk safes and Data Retention selected.
- The Data Center Console displays incorrect values in the Compression Type section of the Edit Disk Safe window after editing the values.
- Internet Explorer users who enable the Compatibility view may notice graphical display issues when attempting to view some Data Center Console pages, such as the Disk Usage, Volumes, and Policies pages. This issue does not occur in other Web browsers.
- The Data Center Console service is stopped after using a 5.2.1 > 5.4.1 > 5.4.2 upgrade path with RPM packages.
- When a report is sent out via email, the message include the incorrect icon for warnings. The icon should be a yellow exclamation point instead of a red "x."
- Not all files are downloaded for a container on Virtuozzo and system displays the error message, ERROR - Failed to download file, in the log file.
- Parallels Cloud Server 6.0 users may notice that Virtuozzo virtual machines are not detected as devices in the Disk Safe wizard. The VMs are backed up. If you need granular file restore for a VM, you can back up the PCS VM by installing a Server Backup Agent in the VM guest operating system
- Virtuozzo users may notice that when some containers are downloaded, the compressed file does not contain the first and last container listed in the recovery points.
Server Backup Manager 5.8.x does not include an updated bare-metal restore boot CD as this feature is not changed since version 5.4.1.
There are no changes to Server Backup Advanced, Server Backup Free, and Server Backup Standard Edition, and therefore no Server Backup 5.8.x upgrades are available at this time. These non-Enterprise products are still fully supported as Server Backup 5.2.x and no upgrade is required. In order to receive *future* upgrades for these non-Enterprise products, please replace the repository upgrade path(s) stored in your R1Soft repository source list with the following URLs:
- Apt Non-Enterprise: http://repo.r1soft.com/apt-non-enterprise
- Yum Non-Enterprise: http://repo.r1soft.com/yum-non-enterprise/stable/
To receive the Server Backup 5.8.x upgrade, please replace the repository upgrade path(s) stored in your R1Soft repository source list with the following URLs: