|16 November, 2023
| 10 November, 2023
|Linux Manager/Agent Build Version:
| 6.18.1 Build 51
|Windows Agent Build Version:
| 6.18.1 Build 50
|Important Upgrade Notice
Customers upgrading from Server Backup Manager 6.2.2+ can upgrade as normal, otherwise please upgrade to 6.2.2 first.
|MySQL and Virtuozzo
If you have MySQL in Virtuozzo containers you will need to upgrade both the agent and the Backup Manager to address issues with recovery.
- An upgraded version of Server Backup Agent (SBA) is available to support newer kernel versions like
- Debian 12 - Kernel 6.1
- Alma Linux 9.2 / RHEL 9.2 / Rocky Linux 9.2 / Cloud Linux 9.2 / Oracle Linux 9.2 / CentOS Stream 9 - Kernel 5.14
- Support for Windows Server 2022
- Support for Windows 11
- Restored Log Rotate setting of Log4j to simply keep server.log files in text format by re-naming them with numbers 1 to 50
- Certificate for the R1Soft remote replication is updated to support a stronger and secure 2048-bit RSA key
- Bugfix: MySQL v8.0.3x restore fails with Unable to start the secondary MySQL instance
- Bugfix: Create Disk Safe fails when provided with absolute path of the disk safe instead of volume
- Bugfix: When editing a backup policy, last saved retention settings are not available.
- Bugfix: MySQL MyISAM engine created tables aren't listed in recovery pane
You must have an active maintenance account to upgrade. If you have a perpetual (non-heartbeat) license, it will be converted to a heartbeat license automatically upon upgrade. Make sure your SBM has https connectivity to complete this conversion. During the upgrade, you will be notified of the change and will be given the option to revert back to the previous version you were running.
|Component upgrade order
Server Backup Manager software must be upgraded in the following order:
Data Center Console (DCC) is not compatible with Server Backup Manager v6.18.
Backup Agent software requires a glibc version of 2.5 or greater.
|GNU C Library Compatibility
Backup Agents on Linux distributions with older glibc libraries should remain on version 5.10 or earlier versions of the Backup Agent software. Refer to the following Knowledge Base article for more information: Error - Linux cdp agent fails with "Floating Point Exception".
Please watch this space for updates & timelines related to upcoming Stable and Beta kernel module releases. We thank you for your patience.
Server Backup Manager 6.18.1 was released this week
With the 6.18.1 backup agent, BETA support is now available for the following operating systems:
- Kernel 6.1 - Debian 12
- Kernel 5.14 - Alma Linux 9.2 / RHEL 9.2 / Rocky Linux 9.2 / Cloud Linux 9.2 / Oracle Linux 9.2 / CentOS Stream 9
- We are working on promoting 5.13 kernel modules, and 5.14 kernel modules for RHEL 9.0/9.1and similar distros, from BETA to Stable. Coming Soon!
- We are planning to add BETA module support for 5.17 kernels the week of December 4th 2023
- Work continues towards adding BETA support for 5.14 kernels, on RHEL 9.3 and similar distros. This work is expected to complete in Q1 2024.
- Modules for AlmaLinux 9.0/9.1 and Rocky Linux 9.0/9.1 operating systems have been promoted to production stable. These versions will now auto build from the agent using the "getmodule" command.
- Modules for RHEL 9.0/9.1 operating systems will be promoted to production stable as early as next week
- Work continues on BETA Support for AlmaLinux 9.3 operating systems
- Modules for RHEL 9.0/9.1 operating systems have been promoted to production stable. These versions will now auto build from the agent using the "getmodule" command
- Work continues on BETA Support for AlmaLinux 9.3 operating systems, now with a target availability of January 2024
- Final testing on AlmaLinux 9.3 modules is underway. BETA modules will be available by the end of January 2024.
- RHEL 9.3 BETA modules will be available soon after.
UPDATE 02/01/2024 :
- AlmaLinux 9.2 / RockyLinux 9.2 modules for 5.14.x kernels have been promoted to production. Modules for this version will now auto build from the 6.18.1+ agent using the "getmodule" command
- We are now serving requests for AlmaLinux 9.3 BETA modules
- We will begin serving requests for RHEL 9.3 BETA modules the week of February 5th
- RockyLinux 9.3 BETA support is currently in testing
UPDATE 02/22/2024 :
- RHEL 9.2 modules for 5.14.x kernels have been promoted to production. Modules for this version will now auto build from the 6.18.1+ agent using the "getmodule" command
- We are now serving requests for RHEL 9.3, Rocky Linux 9.3, and CloudLinux 9.3 BETA modules
Common Problems and Issues
- When Disk Safes grow larger than 32TB, backups fail with : "reset(): database or disk is full", even when sufficient storage space is available.
- File search will run forever for protected machines with EFI partitions, the search will get stuck in /boot/efi. As a workaround, specify the starting path for the search.
- Multipath I/O storage configurations with duplicate device UUIDs are not supported and have been found to not function in some configurations.
- The merge task may fail when you attempt to merge a recovery point that was interrupted due to CLOB/BLOB issues. If the merge fails due to this issue, merge the points one by one. After the merge fails, merge each recovery point one by one until the task is successful.
- Users who have Debian installations should note that a Debian-based machine that has both RPM and DEB packages installed is recognized as RPM-based only by Server Backup Manager.
- Users cannot set heap memory for more than 1024 MB using serverbackup-setup -m. Even if there is more than enough space, Server Backup Manager displays a message indicating that memory specified must be smaller than 1024 MB. Edit server.conf to update memory settings.
- Users who have more than 1,500 mount points per device may experience performance issues during a file restore or when attempting to browse recovery and archive points.
- (Cosmetic) zk-web messages in SBM log after install or upgrade. Steps to resolve can be found here
- Server Backup Agent installation on Windows Server 2022 fails as .NET 3.5 isn't enabled on Windows servers 2019 or 2022. If Microsoft .NET 3.5 is manually installed, remote agent installation completes successfully.
- Remote agent deployment on Windows 11 machine fails because of User Account Control Settings. Disable "Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode" under User Account Control before running remote agent install. Note: A reboot of the Windows computer will be required.
- Server Backup 5.2.x and later do not support remote deployment to a Windows 2003 server because installing drivers requires user interaction..
- After performing backup, unable to browse software RAID + LVM partition formatted with XFS filesystem.
- Users who use Centos LiveCD on any bare-metal restores that have LVM may receive error messages that they failed to restore deltas to a certain device number. This issue results from the fact that because the Centos LiveCD uses its own LVM to manage its file systems, dm-0 and dm-1 are always in use. To avoid this issue, choose a target that is two LVM devices higher than the original. For example, if /tmp is originally on /dev/dm-1, you should choose /dev/dm-3 as your target.
- RecoveryCD versions 4.2.0 and 5.0.0 do not work when performing a bare-metal restore to a target that includes mdadm and LVM devices.
- Some users may receive an exception error message when attempting to exclude a large group of files in a directory when performing a restore.
- Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 users cannot restore a mailbox database to an alternate location.
- Not all files are downloaded for a container on Virtuozzo and system displays the error message, ERROR - Failed to download file, in the log file.
- Parallels Cloud Server 6.0 users may notice that Virtuozzo virtual machines are not detected as devices in the Disk Safe wizard. The VMs are backed up. If you need granular file restore for a VM, you can back up the PCS VM by installing a Server Backup Agent in the VM guest operating system.
- Virtuozzo users may notice that when some containers are downloaded, the compressed file does not contain the first and last container listed in the recovery points.