The MySQL Hot Backup API is MySQL's answer to the commercial backup software vendors. It's goal is to make an API for doing Online type MySQL backups. It is a big goal and will represent a significant improvement over mysqlhotcopy for MyISAM backups.
For years the commercial backup software vendors have been telling MySQL AB: "build as an API and we'll build hot backup apps!"
- Online Backup without Interruptions for InnoDB and Falcon storage engines.
- SQL Interface for Initiating Backups
- BACKUP DATABASE databasename1, databasename2 TO "filename.backup";
- RESTORE FROM "filename.backup";
- Can't backup replicated Databases
- No backup of database privileges
- No selective (table level) backup and restore
- No Compression
- No MyISAM support
Category Online Archive Type Disk
MySQL Storage Engines Supported InnoDB & Falcon Only
Supported O/S All
Binlog Backup & Restore No Zero Business Interruption (Online Backups) Yes Granular (Table Level) Restore
Easy to Use Graphical User Interface
No Complete Server Protection (Backup All Data or just MySQL?)
No Backup Type
Backup Window Length
Server Disk I/O and Load Impact